Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Seder/Bob Dylan Concert

Hi all,

Sorry for the long break in between posts.  I haven't really been home much, between camping last weekend and playing tennis the last few days after school.  Anyways, here is the first of two posts to go up today (hopefully!). 

Last Monday night, Rebecca and I went to seder at the Air Force base in Osan (roughly 20 minutes on the subway from Suwon).  Much thanks to Andrew Gruen who put me in touch with the rabbi at the Army base at Yongsan in Seoul, who in turn put me in contact with the people leading seder in Osan.  It was definitely much more convenient to attend rather than rushing from school to Seoul and it was a very nice and homey atmosphere.  We got to seder a little late, but still in time to enjoy some matzah and bitter herbs, as well as the Hillel sandwich (my favorite).  Dinner was great, I hadn't been that full in a long while.  We had roasted chicken and herbs, gefiltte fish, green beans, corn, roasted potatoes, some more veggies and salad.  They also had plenty of macaroons and chocolate covered matzah.  Overall it was a really nice meal and a good seder.  Being on base was like apperating back to the U.S.  The base in Osan is set up like a real town, which is nothing like I imagined.  When I think of a base, even a modern base, I think of something out of M.A.S.H. or another war movie.  This base had a full school system for family members (elementary, middle, and high schools), a Chili's, Taco Bell, Subway, Long John Silver's, a movie theater, supermarket, and other common places you would find in any American town.  Definitely a weird but interesting experience and now that Rebecca and I have a contact who can get us on base, we might venture back in the future.  At school the next day I introduced the students in my special class to chocolate covered matzah, which they couldn't get enough of (not surprising, anything that remotely resembles chocolate or candy is like gold to them). 

The week kept on rolling on and finally the Bob Dylan concert came around on Wednesday evening.  We swiftly made our way from our respective schools out to Olympic Park on the southeast end of Seoul.  The set was pretty good, basically what we expected given that it was Bob's first time playing in South Korea, but there were still a few welcomed surprises.  Here it is:
1. Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35
2. Lay Lady Lay
3. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
4. Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
5. The Levee's Gonna Break
6. Just Like A Woman
7. Honest With Me
8. Sugar Baby
9. High Water (For Charley Patton)
10. Desolation Row
11. Highway 61 Revisted
12. Shelter From The Storm
13. Thunder On The Mountain
14. Ballad Of A Thin Man

1st Encore:
15. Like A Rolling Stone
16. Jolene
17. All Along The Watchtower

2nd encore:
18. Blowin' In the Wind

It was a good show, although you could tell that this is probably close to the last hurrah for Bob.  I don't think voice, even as it is today, can hold up on tour for much longer.  It was a good mix of classics and songs from his more recent albums.  All in all, it made for a very enjoyable evening and a good midweek break.  That's all from here for now, expect a new post about the weekend camping excursion after dinner later tonight (or Wed. morning for most of you).  Oh, and how could I forget, congrats to the Twins on a big win last night.  So happy baseball season has started, now I get questions from some of my students like "Do you know Choo Shin Soo?" or "Kim Byung-Hyung played for Arizona teacher."  Puts a smile on my face for sure.

What I'm listening to: "Our Faces Split the Coast in Half" by Broken Social Scene

No comments:

Post a Comment