Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Birthdays Galore (Soccer too!)

Hey all,

Back with a new post.  The past weekend was pretty good, although it wasn't as active as the one before.  Friday night a large group of English teachers, mostly from Pyeongtaek (roughly 30 min south of Suwon by subway), plus a few others, met up to celebrate a birthday and the festivities started at the Suwon Samsung BlueWings game.  I knew a few of the teachers from orientation, but I hadn't seen them since December, so this was good opportunity for everyone to meet up again.  The game was pretty lackluster, definitely not a full capacity crowd (much different than the FC Seoul game I went to in the fall), but the diehard home fans were fun to watch and it was good to finally get out to a game.  The stadium is pretty awesome, it was built for the World Cup back in 2002, when Japan and South Korea co-hosted.  After the game we headed back towards the Station (my neck of the woods) to have ourselves a good time and a good time was definitely had by all.  On Saturday I headed north to Ilsan to meet up with Dave and Alex, who I hadn't seen in a lititle while.  We saw Green Zone, which was just released here a few weeks ago.  I thought it was a decent but definitely not a great movie.  It had its moments, but it didn't stand out as a whole like some other similar movies.  Saturday night we headed into Seoul to celebrate another birthday and as most of you can guess by now, we used Sunday to relax and unwind.

In other news, I've been trying to catch up on some new TV programs from back home.  I've started watching The Pacific, the new miniseries by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg, basically Band of Brothers set in the Pacific instead of Europe during WWII.  I thoroughly enjoyed BOB and so far (I'm only a few episodes in), I really like The Pacific as well.  I also caught the premiere episode of Treme, a new series by the creator of The Wire (possibly my favorite drama ever).  Treme follows the life of the citizens of New Orleans post-Katrina and seems like it's going to be a very good show.  It has a very interesting cast and even had a special cameo in the first episode (I won't tell you who, but you'll know if you watch).  Dave also turned me on to a new cartoon on FX called Archer.  I will warn you before I continue, Archer is extremely hilarious, but most of the humor is extremely crude so watch at your own risk.  For people like me, who have a sense of humor that can drift towards the gutter from time to time, it is almost the perfect show.  The show is basically James Bond + Mad Men + cartoon + a huge adrenaline kick.  Also, a few of the character voices come from the cast of Arrested Development (probably my favorite comedy show), so Archer is pretty much a natural fit.  In music news, I just got the new Dr. Dog album as well as the new Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, and both are very good.  I'll link from both at the end of the post.  That's all from this end, Alex's birthday is this weekend, which should be a fun celebration for all.

What I'm listening to: "Shame, Shame" by Dr. Dog

Book recommendation:  Evening's Empire by Bill Flanagan
Dad sent me this book a little over a month ago and it was a very good read from cover to cover.  For anyone that is remotely close to as big a music fan as myself or Dad, I think you'll really enjoy this.  It basically details the career of a band's manager and the band over four decades, beginning in 1965 in London and ending roughly around present day.
















Dr. Dog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyobxZmLG2g

Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ouI5KcyHfE

No comments:

Post a Comment