Sunday, March 28, 2010

The End of the Epic A-Z Song Challenge













Hey all,

The picture above is an ode to this past week's episode of "Lost," which for those who don't watch, thank yourselves for not getting involved in the endless hours of intense thinking and re-thinking sessions that follow each episode.  You've saved yourself hours upon hours of time wasted to guess about very impertinent and trivial matters.  To those who do watch "Lost," you know that this past week the writers explored how Richard Alpert came to the island and met Jacob, and in the course of doing this, somehow Richard Manuel appeared on the island.

Now onto the bigger and much more important news, as the final seconds of "!!!!!" by The Roots played out earlier today on the bus ride back from Gwangju, I let out a huge sigh of relief.  I had reached my destiny, a long and strange journey that began roughly 10 months ago, last June, on the car ride from Madison to Bonnaroo in Tennessee.  I reached the finish line in what turned out to be an exercise in my patience.  Luckily, I enjoy most of the music on my iPod so it wasn't as tedious as I'm making it sound.  I want to say a special thanks to Dad, whose influence on my musical tastes cannot be overlooked.  After seeing you begin your own epic adventure through your music, I was inspired to do the same and really evaluate all my music.  I've come to the conclusion that 98% of my library is great and most of it wouldn't have been without your tutelage and dedication to raising me to be a lover of music.  I appreciate all that you've done to further my music education.  Another special thanks to Uncle Niel, who helped me round out my music interests with the help of Dad.  I still remember getting Ram, McCartney, Band on the Run, and Venus and Mars for my 6th birthday and The Bends, Ok Computer, and Hail to the Thief for my 15th birthday.  And who could forget Teenage Fanclub and the Manic Street Preachers?  I hope one day I can do the same for my children and nieces and nephews.  In short, the day has come and now that I'm free, I'm back to being overwhelmed with all my music.  I've decided to give myself a quick psych up for the Bob Dylan concert this Wednesday so I'm currently going through Blood on the Tracks.

In other news, there is another Minnesotan in Suwon!  John Dritsas hails from Golden Valley, a proud Hopkins alum, who was put in touch with me by Paul Chodosh, formerly a teacher here.  Many mutual friends between the two of us and it's great that he got placed in the same city as me.  It's been nice for me to expound on my decent knowledge of Korea and help show John some of the ropes, but he doesn't really need my help, he's been adjusting just fine.  Also, as I wrote in the last post, Rebecca and I are going to Osan for Seder tomorrow night, which I'll write more about in a few days.  Overall, it was a good weekend and it's looking like a great week!  At school I've also picked up a kindergarten class that meets 2x a week for 20 minutes each.  I'm a little apprehensive to see how the teaching goes (the class doesn't start until April), but I'm going way easy on them.  Sticking to the ABC's and "C is for Cookie" on repeat.

That's all from here, enjoy these goodies.

What I'm listening to: "Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts" by Robert Zimmerman.

Link action:

Book Choice:













Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFBSTjANAKU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkzRyHa9a6g

No comments:

Post a Comment