Monday, December 7, 2009

Is It Really Snowing?

By the title you can safely assume that winter has finally arrived in Korea. Over the weekend there were some light snow flurries and even some reports of people skiing on some wonderful artificial stuff. The past week went by relatively quickly, as most do now; I turned in my winter camp plans, which were approved so now I have to gather all my materials and over the course of the camp, I will put together a workbook in addition to the current workbook I am working on for my special class. Compared to other teachers I know I am doing a lot more work, which will be rewarding in the end, but at the moment is adding a little stress to every day. It's good to know I'll be done with one of the workbooks in two weeks and it's even better to know that means it will be winter vacation! I am counting down the days, as I'm sure Mom, Dad, and Robyn all are, until our trip to Japan. Vacation will be sweet but also short; for the first time in four years I don't have really have a month off in January, but the school semester schedule is a little different here. After my winter English camp finishes at the end of January, school is back on for the first week in February and then it's the end of the semester and the spring semester begins in March. I still haven't been given a clear answer on whether I have to be at school every day in February or if it's another break period for teachers as well.

Last Wednesday my Korean class ended for this semester. Overall it was an enjoyable class. I was able to meet some other English teachers, not surprisingly I was the youngest out of the group (I'm used to this by now). We had a nice end of class potluck and review and it was a good introduction to Korean but I think I will try and study on my own over winter vacation to learn more since the class didn't really focus on conversational vocabulary, but more on culture and vocabulary associated with the theme of each class.

On Thursday I saw Ninja Assassin which was a pretty awesome movie. The main actor is Rain, a Korean pop star (K-pop), basically the equivalent of Justin Timberlake. While I never thought I would get sucked into the world of K-pop it's literally unavoidable when you're here. They play the songs everywhere and everyone from my students to my co-workers loves the music. The movie was more gruesome than I thought it would be, along the lines of Tarantino at times, but it was definitely very enjoyable. Anyways, that's all from my end, I'm currently waiting on my usual Monday load of colors to finish their cycle and praying they dry quickly, which is never the case.

iPod A-Z song update: "My Mirror Speaks" by Death Cab for Cutie

No comments:

Post a Comment