Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Thoughts on Korean Cuisine

Hi everyone,



While I know I have mentioned some foods that I've tried since I've been here in Korea, I thought I'd take the time to describe some foods that I've really enjoyed. I forgot to mention in my last post that I have now met the teacher I'm replacing. His name is Dan and he taught at Maesong Elementary for 2 years so he has been very good at giving my pointers as well as his lesson plans for each class. Yesterday he actually came to the school and I was able to observe him teaching in the afternoon which was extremely helpful for me. Today definitely went a lot smoother since I began incorporating some of Dan's teaching techniques. Back to the food...On Monday night, Dan took me out to dinner with our friend Hanjoon for Korean barbeque, sum gyeop sal. It was delicious but not as good as the meal we had last night. Dan and I went to his favorite restaurant in Suwon, for dak galbi, which is a Korean-style spicy barbeque chicken with vegetables. It was by far my favorite meal I've had since I've been here. Tonight I went to a Vietnamese restaurant right up the street from me called Pho Tien. I had Vietnamese spring rolls and a seafood noodle soup, both which were great. I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on my surroundings now and every day it is starting to feel more like home to me.

This weekend I'm planning on going on a little trip with some friends to an island off the coast of Incheon. I will post more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment