Monday, August 31, 2009

1st Teaching Day in Korea

Hi everyone,

This blog post comes late in the evening on Monday. I had a great weekend in Seoul; I stayed at my friend Adam's place in Gwangmyeong (southwest Seoul) on Saturday night. I have figured out the Korean subway system pretty well; it's relatively easy to get from Suwon to mostly anywhere in Seoul. We went to the Dongdaemun market on Sat. afternoon and explored, lots of food and plants; street vendors sold sausages, tempura vegetables and corn on the cob. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera so no pictures to post but soon I promise I will. After the market, Adam and I went to an UN World Heritage site in downtown Seoul, a temple built in the 16th century. Very cool display, hopefully I'll go back with my camera the next time. We went to the Hyundai department store for dinner, I had some spicy dumplings, similar to cha shu bau. Afterward we enjoyed the downtown Seoul nightlife.

On Sunday, Adam and I went to go check out a pickup ultimate frisbee league. It was very cool, the field was near the Han River in Seoul and there was a nice mix of ex-pats and Koreans playing. After a few hours of frisbee, we went to Costco, where we stocked up on some American products. I bought some Skippy, Einstein Bagels, Bisquick, Prego, etc... I had a nice warm feeling as I walked through the colossal warehouse. I had a hour long subway ride back to Suwon.

Today I had my first day of teaching. I had three 6th grade classes today, all were pretty good, It was a pretty short work day, tomorrow is a long day, I have 7 classes so a pretty full day. I finally got furniture so I have a bed, microwave,etc... and I will post more later in the week.

Take care,

Jonathan

1 comment:

  1. 􀃆Korean Cuisine
    Nancy Kruse, a foodservice trend
    watcher, reports Korean cuisine is
    beginning to experience significant
    activity. Korean yogurt in flavors such
    as green tea and pomegranate, is being
    sold at chains such as Pinkberry and
    Red Mango. BBQ Chicken (Best of the
    Best Quality Chicken), which is fried in
    olive oil, is available in New York and
    Los Angeles. Korean foods are finding
    their way to mainstream menus, e.g., a
    steak with kimchee and edamame fried
    rice at Roy’s or a spicy Korean
    cucumber salad at Tap in Atlanta. In
    Chicago, Bill Kim, a former chef at
    Charlie Trotter’s, has opened Urban
    Belly, a restaurant that features noodles
    and dumplings. David Chang won a
    2009 James Beard foundation award
    for his new Korean restaurant called
    Momofuku Ko. Start watching for more
    Korean influenced menu items such as
    Korean-style barbecue which might
    begin with a burger or short ribs.
    (Nation’s Restaurant News, 8/10/09)

    ReplyDelete