Saturday, August 22, 2009

Arrival in Korea

Hi all,

I arrived in Korea yesterday (Friday, Aug. 21) afternoon a little before 4pm local time. The flight was 13 1/2 hours long and I had the unfortunate discomfort of sitting in a middle seat. Luckily, the person sitting in front of me chose not to recline their seat until the last 2 hours of the flight so I was able to enjoy what little leg room I had. I was able to sleep for a few hours during the flight but crashed as soon as I returned from dinner last night.

Orientation in Chicago on Thursday was nice. We enjoyed a nice Korean-style dinner at the hotel featuring two kinds of kimchi, traditional and served with cucumbers, bulgogi (grilled beef with garlic, green onions and sesame oil), sushi and a seaweed soup. They also served a sweet tea with ginger and cinammon. Apres dinner most us took in a few drinks in the hotel bar and some of us ventured down to the pool to swim and take in a nice soak in the hot tub and drain out in the sauna. Later in the evening a few friends from Wisconsin who live in the northern suburbs of Chicago came to visit and say goodbye, which was very nice. Thanks again Robyn and Lauren!

Upon arrival at the Seoul-Incheon airport, I was met by my co-teacher, who thankfully had a car and we embarked on our drive to Suwon, where I will be living for the year. Unfortunately, my official apartment wasn't ready to be lived in until Monday so I am living in a temporary apartment for the weekend. So far Korea has been very good, the scenery is great and the food has been delicious. I will post more when I get settled in my new apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment