Sunday, September 6, 2009

First Week Thoughts

Hi all,

The first week of teaching went great! The kids are mostly wonderful and they definitely seem to enjoy English class. I can tell that it's going to be a good school year. Their English speaking levels aren't great but they are good listeners and it's fun for me because I get to play a lot of games and teach them simple songs (soon we'll move on to the Beatles).

This weekend I ended up going to Goyang in northwestern Seoul to visit my good friend from Madison, Dave. It was an excellent weekend. On Friday night, another friend from our Madison group, Alex, also came in for the night and we got to explore Dave's neighborhood, which was great. We went for dak kalbi on Saturday with some of Dave's co-teachers from his high school who are closer in age to us than my co-teachers. It was delicious as usual and afterward we went bowling. I'm not any better than I was at home. Alex went back to his place in Paju on Sat. night and Dave and I met up with his dad, who was in Seoul for business, for dinner, which was great. My first time having spaghetti in Korea but it was very good. Last night Dave and I went to Hondae to explore the famous nightlife. I can't recall the last time I've seen so many restaurants and watering holes in such a little area but it was a great weekend overall.

I'm hoping to get my computer fixed and then get in touch via Skype and post some pictures of Suwon and travels. I think I'm going to stay in Suwon next weekend to explore the area some more; I've realized it's much larger than I originally thought. That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment