Thursday, July 4, 2013

Geneva Going Ons

The past few weeks have been relatively uneventful here in Geneva as I've been fairly busy with my internship and have not done much traveling outside of the city but that doesn't mean it's been all quiet here. Two weekends ago I was able to meet up with my Josh Gross and his immediate family as well as part of his extended family as they were in town for a relative's Bat Mitzvah. It was nice to catch up and get to spend some time with Josh and I'm actually leaving for Paris tomorrow after work to meet up with Josh and his older brother Ben for the weekend, but more on that later. Josh's visit coincided with the Fete de la Musique in Geneva which is a weekend-long celebration of all genres of music and various locations within the canton of Geneva, including all over the city of Geneva, host different concerts. I went with some friends to hear some reggae music one night and saw a few blues bands on a separate afternoon and overall it was quite enjoyable and the weather was great if not a little too hot. I also was able to check out a great open air market that weekend and enjoyed a delicious falafel sandwich from a Lebanese food stand but was so hungry I forgot to take a picture to share with you all so my apologies.

This past week and weekend were pretty laid back. A few of us went for Chinese and may have found a decent dining deal in town as they have a buffet with plenty of options. Last Sunday I went with a few others in our group to a brunch hosted by a local organization involved in promoting eco-friendly and sustainable living and also working to collect donations for refugees from the Syrian civil war. The food was great! They served a typical Middle Eastern spread including hummus, baba ganoush, a meat and tahini dish, a tzatziki-type dish, and of course, plenty of pita. After the brunch we were directed to a park across the street where there were free jazz performances all afternoon long so we spent a few hours in the sun soaking in the sweet sounds of jazz music.

Canada Day was relatively uneventful here; unfortunately I didn't receive an invitation to the Canadian mission's party or the party hosted by the Canadian family on my block (but I can't really fault them, I truly doubt they know of my Canadian roots). Since I didn't receive an invitation to the American mission's 4th of July party tomorrow, I figured what better way to celebrate than to travel somewhere so after work tomorrow I'll be hopping on a TGV train bound for Paris and I'm quite excited for my first time in the "City of Lights." Obviously I won't be able to do everything but I'm looking forward to a relaxing and entertaining weekend of exploring Paris so I'll have plenty to write about when I return.

That's about all from my end, I hope all is well with all of my dedicated readers. Until next time....

What I'm listening to: "Keep Fishin'" by Weezer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOIsYA1QDuk

No comments:

Post a Comment