Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Thailand Pt. 2: Ko Phi Phi-nomenal

So here we are, back with part two of the Thailand highlights/recap.  Let's begin with Ko Phi Phi.  What an incredible few days we spent here.  We took the ferry from Phuket to Ko Phi Phi Don (Ko Phi Phi consists of two different islands; Ko Phi Phi Don is where most of the beach bungalows, cafes and restaurants are located).  We stayed in the Tonsai Village part of the island, which was a pretty happening area for an island known for being somewhat remote compared to Phuket or Ko Samui or Ko Pha-ngan.  Ko Phi Phi and Phuket were both hit pretty hard by the Indian Ocean tsunami back in 2004, but most of the damage caused by the tsunami is non-existent, which is a credit to the tremendous amount of work the government and the locals put in to rebuilding their homes and the tourist areas (which both areas depend upon to sustain their economies).  The only downside of this is that trying to find a relatively cheap and decent place to stay is somewhat difficult but we managed with our bungalow.  Our location was great, just a five minute walk from the beach and views like the one in the picture above.  Longboats were everywhere and the beach was lined with cafes, restaurants, bars, and massage parlors.  The weather continued to be fantastic and we got our beach time in and explored the village in the evening.  I don't think I've ever been as relaxed as I was when we were in Ko Phi Phi, it really is an incredible place.  Fantastic scenery and an awesome laid-back vibe, which is all one can ask from the island life.  The food continued to be fantastic; on a side note, I don't think I'll ever get tired of Thai food, the flavors are so good.  Our last night on the island we were able to catch one of the many fire shows going on at our local beachside bar, check it out:
When we first arrived, the performers (doubling as the bartenders and waiters) were just warming up and there were plenty of drops, but they honed in their act once the night got started.  One of the performers/servers was wearing a 1993 Toronto Blue Jays World Champions t-shirt, which was certainly a highlight for me.  The whole time on the island was great and I can see why many people end up staying there longer than they originally planned to.  I know I could have stayed there much longer than the two days we stayed.

Adios Ko Phi Phi, we'll be back soon!


After two days of island life, we headed back to the ferry to go back to Phuket, where we arrived far too early for our flight, but we wanted to play it safe, and as a result, spent most of the day at the Phuket airport (which meant more GRE studying time for me).  We got back into Bangkok that evening and made our way to the Prince Palace hotel, our final destination on the trip.  I think I'd be doing everyone a dis-service if I attempted to do a Bangkok write-up right now, I'm slowly falling asleep at my computer right now, so I think it's best if I cut this post short and give you a proper part 3 on Bangkok tomorrow.  Can't believe I'll be back traveling in less than a week (Hong Kong and Macau here I come!)!

What I'm listening to: "Don't Carry It All" by The Decemberists
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHYsBE9OdhI

Also check out this awesomely ridiculous list compiled by Rolling Stone:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/the-20-most-memorable-duets-of-all-time-20110118/david-bowie-and-cher-0579718

No comments:

Post a Comment