Monday, November 22, 2010

Flaming Lips...in Seoul!

Hi everyone,

Just got back from seeing "The Social Network," the Facebook movie, which came out here last Thursday.  Definitely a very good movie; it was very enjoyable, entertaining and relevant.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to be Mark Zuckerberg right now, even if he has 51% of the $25 billion Facebook is worth.  Let's just say the Aaron Sorkin did not hesitate to paint him and Sean Parker in a bad light, which in all reality, is probably how they should be portrayed, but I don't really know how the deal went down. 

The last two weeks have been pretty good over here in Korea.  In fact (and I'm not saying this just because my birthday is in November, no bias here) the whole month of November has been an incredibly solid and entertaining month.  Last week I battled a little bit of sickness, but I'm feeling fine and well rested now, even after an extraordinary weekend.  Last Saturday I worked at an English festival at another elementary school in Suwon, 매여울 (Maeyeoul) Elementary School, where my friend Keith teaches.  The school has only been opened for a little over a year and it is a very new building, much different from my school.  The festival was great and a lot of fun to work at.  The opening ceremonies featured a high school band covering Muse and some great songs and dancing by the students in pretty hilarious outfits.  Unfortunately I forgot to bring my camera with me so you'll just have to try and use your imagination to picture these students dancing around in costumes representing different countries.  My job at the festival was to lead a treasure hunt game where the objective was for students to practice their directions in English.  I have to say that most of the students were extremely well-behaved and it was a great time.  We even got a huge lunch prepared by the parent association, which was excellent.  Nate also worked at the festival and after lunch we headed into Seoul to meet up with some other friends that were going to the Flaming Lips concert that night.  And what a concert it was.  At this point in my life, I'd say I've been to some pretty great concerts and I've been very fortunate that for these opportunities.  I don't know whether it was the anticipation to see the Flaming Lips, a band I'd never seen live before, or if it was the uniqueness of the situation, being able to see them live in Seoul, but this show was fantastic.  It might have made a difference that the venue, AX-Hall, is a little more intimate than the usual Flaming Lips concert setting (larger music festivals) and we were able to get up pretty close to the stage.  I can only speak for myself, but I was definitely in a pleasant state of euphoria after the concert ended.  It was a great way to start off Saturday evening and here are some pictures so you can see what I mean.
So many balloons!
 Really just a fantastic show, such good music and such an incredible atmosphere, I'm posting some video at the end of the post as well.  Saturday night continued with my friend Anthony's birthday celebration in 강남 (Gangnam), which was relatively near where the concert was and Sunday was another afternoon of Frisbee.  For those of us going to Manila, it was a final tune-up before this weekend, which seems to be the perfect way to cap off a great month.  To everyone at home in the U.S.A., hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving, don't each too much turducken.  Happy Birthday to Papa, I'm sure it will be another good year filled with happiness and good health.  Oh, and winter vacation tickets are finally booked, time to check off Thailand from the Asia checklist, still many more to go!  Enjoy the video clips:


 
Wayne Coyne PSAs



What I'm listening to: "Baby, You're a Rich Man" by the Beatles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1HGjIPQ1I&NR=1

No comments:

Post a Comment