Saturday, September 18, 2010

Korea-Iran and more...

Hey all,

This current blogpost is a little overdue, but I've been out and about pretty much every night of this past week and haven't had the time to sit down and write until now.  Two weeks ago I went to the Korea Republic vs. Iran soccer friendly at the World Cup Stadium in Seoul.  It was pretty cool to see the national team in action at home and the fervor from the summer's World Cup was definitely still in the air and rampant amongst the fans.  Unfortunately, the home fans didn't see a victory.  Iran beat Korea 1-0 on a great goal.  It was the first time Iran had beat Korea in Korea since 1971.  Still haven't gotten to a baseball game yet, but we're trying, although the postseason is starting soon so it might have to wait until next spring, which is fine. 

Life in Suwon has definitely picked up since the semester started.  Last year there were only 2 of us from Wisconsin that got placed in Suwon.  This year, however, there are 5 of us in Suwon and a few others close enough to come in for dinner or to hang out, which we've done a lot of this past week.  It's been great and I'm pretty happy that this year is going to be much more social during the week than last year was.  Last weekend I took a few of the new guys to Gangnam in Seoul to show them around the area;  it's not a place I go that often, but it is a pretty cool area, lots of ethnic cuisine and cool spots for going out later at night.  Anyways after dinner, we went to Rainbow, which usually has live music, as it did last Saturday night.  The band was pretty good and it was a fun atmosphere, as it usually is.  After hanging out there for a while we made our way back outside to figure out our next move when we found two other English teachers with guitars doing a little busking.  It was raining a little bit and they were playing under a canopy so we decided to check them out and hang out there for a bit to keep dry.  Turns out both of them live in Suwon and we talked for a bit.  When they were leaving one of them forgot his bag, which I took with me, because I figured I could get it back to him in Suwon.  So, Sunday night I gave him a call and we met so I could give him the bag back and after talking for a while, he told me he played in an informal band and I told him that I played piano/keyboard and hadn't played with anyone in a while.  He invited me to the their practice on Tuesday night, which was great and that is where I'm headed in a few hours.  I'll post the setlist we're working with at the bottom. 

In other news, Chuseok is next week so I'm on day 1 of a 9 day break and I can't wait to get to Jeju!  Also looking forward to frisbee tomorrow, the rain has left us for most of this week and tomorrow looks like we might get a full afternoon uninterrupted.  Oh, and how could I forget, maybe a little premature, but congrats to the TWINS for sweeping the Sox in Chicago to pretty much lock up the AL Central!  Suprisingly I'm not too hungry right now, but I have been thinking about what meal would be the best to break the fast with.  I can't remember what it was last year, but I'm sure it was delicious!  I'm also pretty deep into the John Lennon biography that Auntie Holly passed along to me.  I'm on p.330 and it's summer 1963.  That's all from this end, don't worry if you don't hear from me next week, I'll be away, but I'll try and have a Chuseok post up sometime during that last week of September.

What I'm listening to: "Devil In Her Heart" by the Beatles

Setlist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEYN5w4T_aM&ob=av2n
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjCw3-YTffo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FpaK0nGebg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENXvZ9YRjbo&ob=av3ehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bOD2Yp0fI4

No comments:

Post a Comment