Monday, July 12, 2010

Summertime and the Livin' is Easy


Hey all,

Again I apologize for the sporadic blog posts lately, as I'm sure most of you know, once the weather gets nice, all you want to do is spend your time outside, which is what I've been doing.  I've been playing a fair amount of tennis and basketball and enjoying the life outdoors and  as a result, I haven't really had a chance to sit down and write a new post until right now.  Things are very good right now, and not just because this week is the last week of the semester (although that does play a role).  I can definitely tell that the students (and myself) are ready for a well deserved vacation and I can't believe how quickly the semester flew by!  It seems like March was only a few weeks ago and here it is the middle of July, incredible!  The picture above is from a native English speakers field trip organized by my school district that we went on last Wednesday.  My school district has one of the highest population of English speaking teachers in Gyeonggi-do and last Wednesday was mid-year exams at school, so I didn't miss anything.  The first place we went to on our field trip is the burial site and shrine of a king, queen, and his son from the Joseon dynasty.  The story of the son's death is pretty interesting.  He fell into a rice storage bin and was locked in, lasted 8 days inside and then died.  I guess he must've really done or said something terrible to his dad for him to show no mercy.

The burial area also had these guys, straight out of storage from Spinal Tap's "Stonehenge" set:




We also got to make soap at an herbs farm near my school, which was entertaining.  I officially resigned my contract with my school last week so I am staying a 2nd year to teach, just in case some of you were still wondering.  Other than that, not too much is going on out on this end.    The living is easy and this weekend is MudFest down in Boryeong in the southeast on the coast and on the beach for some muddy fun in the sun (hopefully, looks like possible rain, so...Mudslide?), so pretty much every foreigner here will be there.  I teach English summer camp at school for two weeks and then I'm done teaching for a month.  At the end of the month is the Jisan Rock Festival, and I'm going down Friday to see Belle and Sebastian, Massive Attack, and Vampire Weekend, which should be a pretty awesome time.  And then it's back home on August 3rd for summer vacation!  That's all from this end, Viva Espana!

What I'm listening to: "You Are My Face" by Wilco

Links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhj73WtiZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7aoWX8ENT0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpaG-L0zTJ4

No comments:

Post a Comment