Wednesday, May 12, 2010

World DJ Fest

Hey all,

The pictures above (and there are plenty more to come in this post) are from the 4th Annual World DJ Fest, which I went to last Saturday.  It was held at Nanji Forest Park in Seoul, which is near the World Cup Stadium, and right next to the Han River (see the 1st picture).  The weather was great on Saturday and it made for a very enjoyable afternoon and night at the festival.  The 2nd picture is of the main stage at the festival, which, in addition to a collection of DJs spinning records, also had some bands playing as well.  The weekend was definitely a success and the park was a great venue for hosting such an event.  The downtown setting reminded me a lot of Lollapalooza in Chicago, which is held at Grant Park, right of the "Miracle Mile" and against Lake Michigan.  The park also had a collection of booths set up offering everything from African drumming (which I did) to belly dancing (which, regretably, I did not do).  One of the bands we checked out harmonized their vocals and played their guitars like Korean Beatles, which was pretty interesting to see and hear. 

Here they are on stage:
There were also some interesting sculptures on display in the booth area:


And here are the belly dancers, regretably, no pictures of me dancing with them...

In short, the DJ Festival was a lot of fun, a great auditory experience, and I'm glad I went to check it out, but I definitely felt under dressed there.  There were definitely many unique outfits being worn during the afternoon and evening.

I forgot to mention in the last post that May is more or less the month of holidays in Korea.  May 5th is Children's Day, the first Saturday in May is Parents' Day (Mother's Day + Father's Day, makes it easier for us children), the second Saturday in May is Teachers' Day (woohoo!!) and Buddha's birthday also falls in May this year, so we have a long weekend next week!  I'm already looking forward to the time off, it should be a good weekend of R & R in Busan and the weather looks like it will cooperate; it has for most of May so far, so tennis has been back on and the beach is a definite go for next weekend.  Otherwise, not much new or interesting is going on on this end.  I saw Ironman 2 last week and thought it was good, but as with many sequels, it went the Hollywood route, which is fine, sequels are made to cash in on the popularity and success of the original film.  But, Ironman 2 lost a lot of the punch that was in the original, which was a little upsetting.  At least it came out in Korea before it did in North America (I have no idea why).  Next up, Robin Hood.  I realize I'm a little late on this last part, but I'm gonna throw it in the blog anyways.

Stanley Cup Finals prediction: Hawks over Penguins in 6
NBA Finals prediction: Magic over Lakers in 7
Brett Favre return announcement date: August 1st

Ok, that's all from here, I hope everyone enjoys the pictures, they do more talking than my typing would.

What I'm listening to: "Cool It Down" by the Velvet Underground (on the album Loaded)

Links of the week:

The next two links come from two of my favorite bands of the last few years, the National and the Black Keys.  Both have new albums coming out next Tuesday and in honor of that here is some new music from them.



No comments:

Post a Comment