Monday, January 18, 2010

January = Playoffs




Hey all,




I'm back with another great read fresh off the presses! I realize that the sporadic nature of these posts can be frustrating for those who look for updates on a daily basis and I apologize for that, but I want to make what I post worth reading, which is why I let myself soak up the week's events. Anyways the past week has been good. My winter camp started last week and at first I was nervous to teach without my co-teacher/translator, but I've definitely gotten much more comfortable. I enjoy the smaller class sizes, even if I have to make a quick transition from 1st and 2nd grade to 3rd and 4th grade and finally 5th and 6th grade. It's also very nice to have half-days instead of full days, not quite a second vacation but it has allowed me time to relax and finish planning out next semester's lessons. It's also nice to have a wide variety of movies and games at my disposal. I'm looking forward to teaching my students how to play Twister.

Moving on to the more social aspects of the past week, it's been a busy one for travellers here. Most of the teachers in our Wisconsin group left on vacation over the weekend, many of them to hot, humid, sunny Thailand (definitely not jealous at all). There are only a few of us left in Korea for the rest of January, which will be a change from the last few months, but so far, judging by this past weekend, there are still plenty of others around and it's good to switch up the social groups and expand my horizons. Lucky for me, Dave is still around, choosing to immerse himself in his higher Hangul education instead of a vacation, so naturally I made my way up to Ilsan last weekend for our usual R and R. It was nice for me, I got to meet a lot of Dave's Ilsan crew and they are a great group of people. Friday night we hung out around Ilsan, not quite low-key but enjoyable for sure. Saturday morning Dave and I made a beeline for Dunkin Donuts for the bagels and coffee/strawberry juice that we desperately needed to kickstart our day. After a little of the usual Winning, we headed into Itaewon with some of Dave's Ilsan friends. We ended up at potentially the closest thing to a namesake pub that I've ever seen, The Wolfhound (not quite Wolfish, but the place was so good that I would welcome the association). The Wolfhound, a traditional Irish pub with extraordinary food, didn't disappoint. The fish and chips were great and the atmosphere reminded me of Angel in the Fields in London (that's for you Dad, you told me I needed to remember my first true pub). Saturday night we went and explored Sinchon for a bit before heading back to Ilsan. Sunday morning Dave and I dragged ourselves to the gym, reminescent of the Sunday morning frisbee workouts in college (I have such fond memories). After some lunch we settled on Minority Report then I headed home to rest up before the big game.

And what a game it was! Glad to see that the Vikings D was able to play out of their minds for most of the game and the O could be efficient. Fun to watch but next week's time is problematic for me. I'm going to have to avoid the internet like the plague next Monday. Anyways that's all from here for now.


iPod A-Z song update: "Roll Over Beethoven" by take your pick:
A. Chuck Berry
B. The Beatles
C. ELO


Links of the week:


No comments:

Post a Comment